Emoji Translate! The Recap.

Guest Kinneas

Guest Kinneas

:tick:Emoji Translate! The Recap.:tick:

Another week passes, and with it, another round of Emoji Translate! The topic this wee was 'Idioms' - and I thought our non-native English speaking participants might struggle - but they fared very well indeed! For those of you who don't know, or just want reminding, an idiom is simply a phrase or expression. Such as 'the elephant in the room' or 'who let the cat out the bag'. There were 10 entrants with @lordloss544 joining us for the first time! Welcome!

This week was a tough week to mark - I've tried to be strict and lenient at the same time... Which seemingly makes no sense, but allow me to try and explain. Given that phrases and expressions can vary slightly from region to region, I've not been lenient in allowing some variation - provided you have shown you understand what the emojis are attempting to depict. For example, with #3, I would have allowed, 'It doesn't take a rocket scientist' OR 'It's not rocket science' - both phrases basically mean the same thing and are virtually interchangeable with one and other. However, where I've been strict really shows on #6, several of you put 'Brain Food' and while I considered allowing this while compiling this round, I opted SPECIFICALLY for a cookie, and thus the word cookie had to be in your answer to allow for the point! 

I hope all of that makes sense! And with all that said let's put our hand together for @bxtxbc and - believe it or not - @Mr Xander for producing perfect scores this week! 

And, before we get into the rest of the answers - here's a couple that stood out. @lordloss544 answered #2 with 'cold toes runny nose' which made me laugh more than it probably should have! @Psychojonas with the impressive, and unique 'Cut! That's a wrap' and 'Wedding bells' for #1 and #4 respectively! Great effort with those guesses! And finally @Lucifer Box with the valiant 'Ring-a-ding-ding' for #4!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for this round's official answers are... *Insert drumroll here* ... 

1. Actions speak louder than words

2. Getting cold feet

3. It's not rocket science/It doesn't take a rocket scientist

4. It rings a bell

5. Couch potato

6. Smart cookie

7. A bed of roses

8. It's raining cats and dogs

9. On cloud 9

10. Blowing hot and cold

Round 4 Emojis; 

Spoiler

Tywf4RY.jpg

Leaderboard

Click Here

Aw, a cookie is a biscuit here, but weirdly enough, we'd say smart cookie. I suppose it's not our saying. Borrowed. 

Well done Kin, and everyone :) 

Guest Kinneas
24 minutes ago, Princess Rae said:

Aw, a cookie is a biscuit here, but weirdly enough, we'd say smart cookie. I suppose it's not our saying. Borrowed. 

Well done Kin, and everyone :) 

In the UK we have biscuits and cookies. But they're basically the same thing. The way I determine the difference personally is that cookies almost always have 'cookie' in their name! And the classic cookie is a simple 'Choc Chip Cookie' - which is the emoji used!

I'm just sending you a virtual death stare for your #6

Guest Kinneas
19 minutes ago, Lizziefrog said:

I'm just sending you a virtual death stare for your #6

Death stare me all you want Lizziedrog. Wont change the answers ;D

On 7/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, Kinneas said:

Death stare me all you want Lizziedrog. Wont change the answers ;D

My powers.... are... faaaaaaaadingggg.....